"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

E.B. White



Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

Motivation and management are very serious business.  Some people turn to authors like Covey, Blanchard, Gostick and Lencioni.  I, on the other hand, turn to none other than Dr. Seuss to find my direction.  I have a poster on my office wall that reads, “You have brains in your head.  You have feet in your shoes.  You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”  I use it as a reminder to employees that they have full responsibility for their actions (and often outcomes).
 I have read Yertle the Turtle to our sales team to remind them of the importance of each little turtle like Mac. 
The 10 ft. bulletin board in our break room says, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing’s going to get better, it’s not.”  Ok, so this one might make it sound like we need lots of improvement, which we don’t.  But there is always room to grow and improve.  Our goal is to WOW all of our customers, not just 99% (which we do)!!!
My first HR blog at the office was even based on Dr. Seuss.  And will you succeed?  Yes indeed, yes indeed.  Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed.”  Did we succeed?  Yes indeed, yes indeed.  One hundred and ten percent guaranteed.
And quite possibly the strangest element of my love for Dr. Seuss is the box of Cat in the Hat hats that I keep for days when we really need to put our thinking caps on.  Thanks to my WOW team for joining in on the fun during our meeting on Monday!
Today as you celebrate what would have been the 102nd birthday of Dr. Seuss (which I am sure you all will) remember that “Today you are You, that is truer than true.  There is no one alive who is Youer than You!”

No comments:

Post a Comment